Skip to content

False Alarm, False Alarm

So, I had plans for this weekend, plans involving gardening, tidying the nursery, crafting. I didn’t manage any of that (accept for a tiny amount of ironing for crafting). I did manage a bunch of other stuff though!

On Saturday, I had a midwife appointment and I was displaying some of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia, namely trace protein and oedema (swelling, well in my case puffy ankles and fingers). Normal blood pressure though. Anyway, no biggie, midwife just wanted me to get my blood and urine tested on Monday. Unless I started to feel ill or the oedema got worse. I didn’t and it didn’t, so no biggie. I didn’t make it to Hivemind’s party however as was having a hard time staying awake. What a nana.

Good thing I got that extra sleep though, ’cause some time during the night, my Braxton Hicks, which had been quite frequent but painless over the last few days, decided to become painful, although not very painful. I kept waking up, but managing to get back to sleep again. I didn’t even think that they might be “real” contractions until about 10.30am. Even then, if I was in early stage of labour, there wasn’t much I could do except continue on as normal. So, I had lunch with Beau’s family (his brother was down for birthday weekend) and then we went to my parent’s for a maternity photoshoot. Got some nice pictures too 🙂 After that it was family dinner with my whanau.

Nothing much was happening with the contractions, so I was mostly just uncomfortable, but Beau and the rest of the whanau were getting quite excited. We went home and bed at a reasonable hour and they stopped sometime after 4am. I was pretty tired and achey for the rest of the day. Quite pleased that things had changed either way though. Would not want to have that happening for days on end. Unfortunately my bloods came back that afternoon a bit marginal (according to midwife), so I was told to get me to a hospital on Tuesday. Again, no biggie, no rush, but to make sure I got into the Obs clinic mid-morning. I asked what was likely to happen; most likely, more testing and maybe booked in for follow up tests; worst case (and unlikely), I would be admitted and booked in for an induction.

Tuesday morning I was feeling pretty good thanks to a nice long bath and wheat bags on sore tummy muscles the night before. Beau, Mum and I made our way to the hospital and I was told it’d take about 4 hours and could I please pee into this cup. Le sigh. More blood taken, Sweets was monitored, my blood pressure was taken, I got given a packed lunch, more blood pressure checks, more monitoring, some feeling around of my belly and at the end of it we were both declared perfectly fine.

So basically, some excitement, but all is back to normal. Except that Beau and Mum both feel a bit let down that they haven’t got a Sweets to cuddle yet. I’m quite pleased to have a bit more time as I still haven’t cut my wrap out yet!!

Point of Fashion: Maternity
Current Obsession: Glee, I wants more!

{ 10 } Comments

  1. Zephfi | December 3 2009 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

    Peeing in a cup with a nearly fully cooked bubba is haaaard!
    Did you get to check out the delivery suite, or were you elsewhere?

  2. Giffy | December 3 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

    The Obs clinic is with the Women’s Clinics on the 3rd floor, so different floor to delivery. It was pretty quiet there that day, so I got to hang out in a room on my own (plus Mum and/or Beau).

    We did a tour of delivery suite several weeks ago. It’s all fancy now!

  3. Donnelle | December 3 2009 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

    Ooh! I do hope you don’t get it going on for weeks though!

  4. Zephfi | December 3 2009 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

    I want one of those baths in *my* house. Not that I ended up using it in the end – but it does look big and fancy

  5. Giffy | December 3 2009 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

    Donelle: do you mean early stage? I’m not even getting Braxton Hicks right now. I don’t think I could handle weeks of cramps.

    Zeph: Midwife today was talking about how some of the pools are a little too deep. Esp for water births!

  6. Donnelle | December 3 2009 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

    Some people get prodromal labour for days and days :o(

  7. Giffy | December 3 2009 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

    Donelle: that is nicer than “false labour”, which I’ve also heard it called. I know someone who had it for 5 days.

  8. Debbie | December 4 2009 at 7:22 am | Permalink

    I’m glad you’re and baby are fine and doing well. It sounds like you’re being looked after well.

  9. Zephfi | December 6 2009 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

    Week of contractions = not fun. Emotionally/mentally exhausting, if nothing else.

    The baths seem a bit.. yeah a bit deep and also ‘tall’ for easy birthing. Also a bit narrow. At least in terms of the midwife being able to get where she needs to. But good for pre-birth labouring – belly and back would be well-covered in water

  10. Giffy | December 7 2009 at 9:51 am | Permalink

    Debbie: My family are pretty good at looking after me 🙂

    Zeph: The midwives said the pools are really a bit too deep but that the baths are good.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *